Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have been struggling w depression. Saturday afternoon I took

Customer Question

I have been struggling w depression. Saturday afternoon I took a handful of aspirin and chased it down with a glass of, more 11/2 glasses. My spouse and kids knew something was not right and they took to the ER. I was very scared, and have never been in any kind of trouble before. When security came out to get me out of the I refused to go with them alone. Security then called the local police. Still scared of not knowing what was going to happen I refused to go with and stated I was ready to go inside for care. I was handcuffed with my arms behind me and put into their patrol car. There was no air in the car, and the cuffs were so tight I lost feeling in my arms and all the way to my finger tips. I was left in the car alone for 3 plus hours. The hospital was not in my county of origin, so I was told in the beginning I had wait for my county deputy to show up. 3 plus hours later he arrived, I was shoved face first to the trunk of the patrol car so they could swap handcuffs. With the overdose I was having trouble breathing, shaking, sweating and a horrible headache. The local officer was easily 20 plus yards away from me talking to his buddy. I begged and screamed for the cuffs to be loosened up. In that 3 hour period they checked the cuffs after hearing my 1st complaint, and he told me they were fine and then his buddy came around the other side and locked me a seatbelt making it even harder to move and get some circulation going to my arms, hands and fingers. My feet fell asleep by the time I was transferred over to the deputy. I couldn't feel anything, I couldn't feel him grabbing my hands, I thought I was helping and took it as a sign I was resisting him. The level of aspirin in my system was deadly. I went untreated for almost 4 hours and my kidneys were close to shutting down. Normal level is between 5 to 9ish, my level was 89. I was only a danger to myself. My spouse and kids tried very hard to make them let me get help. With the symptoms I was having and no air I became so closed in. I can't feel my hands or fingers and I have pics that show the bruising around wrists and forearms.
Please, I just want to know what my rights were that night, even after I begged for another chance to go inside for treatment. I feel violated. They were told I overdosed. Again, one time is the only time they came to check out the cuffs, and then on top of that buckled me in place. The rest of the 3 hours I was ignored that I needed air and the cuffs were digging into my wrists.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Is there a specific question with which I could assist?