Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My brother Who I hadn't been in contact with showed up at my

Customer Question

My brother Who I hadn't been in contact with showed up at my house in california. I let him stay for a few nights. He wouldn't leave so I locked him out. He went back to Arizona got arrested with drugs and burglary tools. When my dad picked up the truck he was arrested in, he found that he had taken some of my company checks and other paperwork. Is there anything I can do to keep him in jail? Press charges
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Keeping him in jail may not be an option. A prosecutor has the discretion to handle a case any way he sees fit. On top of that your brother will have an attorney, and is probably not going to want to agree to any disposition that keeps him locked up. However, yes, you can get additional charges pressed. And even if he ends up getting a deal that gets him probation rather than jail, he'll be closely supervised by the department of Probation and would face jail or prison if he gets in further trouble. You can report the theft of your checks and paperwork to your own police and let them know you want a protective order to keep your brother from returning to your home and that you want charges pressed for theft. You can also contact the police in Arizona where he was found to be in possession of your property and ask that he be charged there for the possession of stolen property. These charges would be a different case from the one he was charged with in Arizona. So your brother could be facing multiple cases in two different states. Yours are probably misdemeanor charges depending upon the value of the property he took. But multiple counts and cases increase the possibility of at least some jail time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is been in and out of jail prison his whole life for things like this. Does this help the possibility of putting him in jail?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.
Yes it certainly does. And you can make your feelings clear to the police and the prosecutors that it is time that he serve some real time for his offenses. The authorities do not have to listen to you, but they will take your wishes into consideration