Roger, Lawyer
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Sirs: I have been online with a woman 6 weeks.

Customer Question

Sirs: I have been online with a woman for almost 6 weeks. She and I have mutual interests in religion. She claims to have a Masters Degree from Liberty U.
She has not give me her home address, phone number or even what city she lives in. All she says is somewhere in Tn.
She said she would visit me sometime this summer but does not want to receive any money from me.
She is very bright and seems OK but these questions linger.
How could I check on her? All I know is that her name is Beth (I don't know her last name) and she lives in the state of Tennessee. She is 59 years old and a native of Georgia-widowed.
She seems legitimate and says she's
cautious about revealing too much to others on the internet. What would you suggest I do-continue with her? discontinue? Continue with caution.
Thank you-Mike in Knoxville
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'm a lawyer in Tennessee. I'll be glad to assist.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Unless she gives you her name or address, you can't do anything as a private citizen to find out who she is. If she committed some type of crime against you, then the District Attorney's Office could subpoena access to the online chat site you're communicating on to determine who she is, where she is, etc. But, that's not possible without her committing some type of crime.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
So, legally, you can't do anything to obtain her identity unless she provides it to you. But, if she wishes to maintain her anonymity, you're not going to have any legal way to force other identity UNLESS you could criminally charge her.
Expert:  Roger replied 5 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!