Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I have told to steal my car two days ago and now I found the

Customer Question

,I have told to steal my car two days ago and now I found the car. Wife's brother had took it without my knowledge and called me yesterday and told me your car with me !! What should I do ?
I do not want to be her arrest from the police? And I want to protect myself from the legal issue?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello, There shouldn't be any kind of problem here that couldn't be solved by telling the truth. Contact the police and tell them that the car turned up. It turns out a family member took it without your permission, but he brought it back safe and sound and you don't want charges pressed against him. You didn't deliberately make a false police report. You had no reason to believe anyone would just take your car when you called in the theft. There shouldn't be a problem.