PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I have a relative that is a registered sex offender in the

Customer Question

I have a relative that is a registered sex offender in the state of Oklahoma. His job requires that he sometimes travel to the state of Missouri. He notifies the county in which he lives and gives them the dates of his travel. Things were going smoothly until an employment change in Missouri. Today he notified the Christian County sheriffs office that he would be spending the night and what hotel. Apparently the officer/clerk or whoever handles this was upset because she was being kept late at her job due to his late arrival. She called the hotel before he even checked in to inform them a sex offender would be staying there and demanded his room number. She also told him he better check out with her by 4pm tomorrow which his departure. He asked what if he hadn't completed his job by that time and she simply stated he better be there by 4pm. Then at approximately 10:30!a deputy sheriff was sent to do a check at the said hotel. Deputy proceeded to bang on the door very loudly, announced who he was and ask if her was the named person. When my brother stated he was indeed the person he asked for the deputy hatefully replied he was just doing his checks. The deputy never ask to see any type of ID to very it. We feel this is pure and simple harassment. He is trying to follow the rules, but the rules keep changing and now this!
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  PhillipsEsq replied 5 months ago.
Registration in Missouri will be the same as Registration requirements in Oklahoma. For more information, see this useful site: Also see Missouri Revised Statute 589.400 to 589.425 for notification requirements. I did not see anywhere in the relevant Statutes where he was required to check out by 4:00 PM. He may consider retaining a local criminal defense counsel to insure that this type of harassment is not repeated. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys: Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.