socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

My friend, resident of Marina del Ray, CA is requested to appear

Customer Question

My friend, resident of Marina del Ray, CA is requested to appear 05/17/16 at the Airport Courthouse, 11701 South La Cienega Blvd. 90045. She was arrested at Wholefoods for not presenting all items for payment. estimated $100 or less.
She is unemployed. Medical procedures since early 2015 have taken all her savings. She was born in 1960 in Korea. Does she have to find a Public Defender or will one be assigned prior to the court date?
My name is Horst
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 months ago.
Hello, If the defendant is impoverished, and needs a lawyer, the court will appoint a public defender. Your friend needs to request appointment of legal counsel before she enters a plea. "Your honor, I have no money and I need an attorney," should be the first words out of your friend's mouth at the initial hearing. I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.Thanks again for using Justanswer!