Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

My husband is fighting a failure to register as a sex offender

Customer Question

My husband is fighting a failure to register as a sex offender he got bonded out on a charge he had. he was only out 5 days and then they took him to jail and are trying to say he failed to register when law state's you have up to 10 days to report to your officer? What will happen?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he was still within the time period to register as an offender, but the Arkansas law says that the offender must register 10 days BEFORE they move to an address. However, Arkansas Code 12-12-906 states that the offender who is required to register must register immediately upon release from jail and if the offender is going to move they have to register and provide notice 10 days prior to moving. You can read the law at:
So, if he did not register properly and it was a first offense, he is likely to obtain a fine, additional probation and no jail time, but it is a Class C felony punishable by 3-10 years in prison and up to a $10,000 fine. He will have to go to court and would be entitled to an attorney who will try to convince the court that the law confused him and he thought he had up to 10 days to register when he was released and that it was a mistake that will not happen again. It is going to depend on how good his attorney is and if the attorney can make a deal with the prosecutor or not as you can see the law does say registration must be at least 10 days prior to the move.