Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How do I start the expungement process?

Customer Question

How do I start the expungement process?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 7 months ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. What state are you in? Is the crime with which you were charged a misdemeanor or felony? What happened with the case? How much time has passed since the case ended?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Lucy, we are in the great state of Mississippi. According to my daughter, she was charged with a felony (never went to a federal court). She was given 5 yrs probation. It has been well over 10 years.
Thank you. When you say "never went to a federal court," do you mean that she was charged in federal court but didn't go to trial? Or do you mean that she was charged and prosecuted entirely in the state courts?
Also, what type of offense was she charged with?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She was charged and prosecuted in Lowndes county state courts.
Mississippi law only allows certain types of convictions to be expunged. What was she convicted of doing? Was she an adult at the time?