Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I live in Kansas What is the punishment if I get caught I

Customer Question

I live in Kansas
What is the punishment if I get caught
I looked online but the rules seem to change and it's not so clear
Is it a year or 1000 or both ?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello, What is the criminal offense for which you are worried about being caught?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Position of marijuana
Also can the cops come to my apt and check it out or I have the right to refuse to let them in ?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.
If police come to your house to search you have the right to ask them to show you a warrant. If they don't have a warrant you can refuse to let them in. In Kansas possession of less than 450 g (15.87 ounces) of marijuana is a misdemeanor with a penalty of up to a year in prison and/or a fine of up to $2,500. That means the worst case scenario would be a year in jail and a fine of $2,500. The best case would be no jail and no fine. The court does not have to impose any jail. And it does not have to impose a fine with the jail. A judge can sentence a defendant to both jail and a fine but he can sentence the defendant to either the fine OR some jail if he wants to. Or for that matter, he can sentence a defendant to probation.