Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I was prosecuted in 2008 , possession with intent

Customer Question

I was prosecuted in 2008 for possession, possession with intent to distribute, and Manufacturing because I had 2 pounds of weed on me.. I Got 5 years probation was evaluated 4 times daring probation and was never recommended treatment. I got off probation in 2012 at which time I went to get my license renewed and was told it has been suspended since 2008. I was informed that I would have to do another evaluation and take a satop equivalent class to get my license back.. I did every program and every class recommended to me while on probation I guess I just don't understand how my license could be suspended when my probation officer knew I was driving to college classes, to my probation officer, and to work.. could a clerical error be the reason I still have to take these classes to get my driver's license? And is there any way I can go about proving I was never recommended treatment to get my driver's license back while on probation.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello, Unfortunately, while the criminal justice system sentences you for the criminal offense, the DMV has its own hoops it makes one jump through for the restoration of a license. They can assess you and impose classes on you even though you weren't court ordered into treatment or classes. The DMV is not part of the criminal justice system. Their policies are separate and administrative in function. You can ask for an appeal if you don't like the conditions their imposing on you for renewal. But what they are doing to you is standard after a suspension. As they are fond of telling people, driving is not a right but a privilege. They can make you earn that right even though the courts are already content with what you've done for them.