Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I live in ne my current dr said they are not allowed to prescribe

Customer Question

I live in ne my current dr said they are not allowed to prescribe me pain meds anymore because I went to urgent care and they wrote the same prescription when I couldn't get into see my dr. I have chronic migraines I recieve the shots at urgent care well dr told me to contact state patrol. State patrol said go to one dr one pharmacy from now on but now I'm afraid I'm flagged an will be arrested for dr shopping which I was not doing.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello, You can see as many doctors as you like. That's not a crime. You can get into trouble, however, if you don't give your doctors a full medical history of what you're being prescribed for and do that in order to get more of a controlled substance than any one doctor is prescribing. So, as long as you are getting your pain meds from only one doctor, you won't get in trouble with the law.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I got meds from my Dr an the urgent care tho
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.
Yes, I understood that, but you didn't get arrested for that. Did I misunderstand your question? You said your doctor cut you off and that state patrol told you just to get your medication from one doctor from here. You can't do anything about what already happened. If you told urgent care what you already had a prescription for and they prescribed more for you anyway, that's on them. You had an emergency and did nothing wrong.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The urgent care dr tried telling my Dr there was nothing in his notes that I stated that's what I was already taking. I'm just scared because I wasn't dr shopping and I don't want to go jail the state patrol advised me how to handle future drs bUT how do I know they aren't pursuing
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.
You don't know they are not pursuing it. However, if they are, the only way to make that go away would be to retain counsel if you are charged and to fight the case. Going forward, as long as you're not filling two of the same prescriptions from two different doctors during the same 30 day period, you are not breaking any law.