Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If a tow company takes possession of my jeep but fails to

Customer Question

If a tow company takes possession of my jeep but fails to notify me (the registered owner) for over three months and then puts a lien on it and applies for title through DMV, is this legal? My jeep was suppose to be getting repaired but instad it was abandond, stripped and impounded.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 7 months ago.
Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that: (A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here; (B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and (C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours. Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….
Expert:  Maverick replied 7 months ago.
See this law. It appears that WV never passed the non-consent tow legislation. Here is the closest law that I found. Before I can answer your question, I need to know is the company that was supposed to repair your jeep the one that abandoned it or called the tow company to take it off their lot? Did you have an outstanding bill with them?