Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

I stole 3 books from a bookstore ($70 total, didn't conceal

Customer Question

I stole 3 books from a bookstore ($70 total, didn't conceal anything literally just walked out the entrance books in hand, no alarms went off) and got to my boyfriend's car when I noticed a mall cop was pulling into the area. He then followed our car for a minute, and then after we went through a light the cop got a red and stopped following us. Should I still be worried? I'm assuming they ran his plate but would they actually care enough to go forward? What should I do now?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 5 months ago.
Hello.I'm sorry to hear about your situation. At this point, there is not really anything you can do other than wait and see how things play out. It is possible that the mall cop may use the information from your boyfriend's license plate to have the real police track him down, but it seems unlikely that it would go that far. Once they pull the ownership information and realize that the description doesn't match their suspect, it is difficult for them to proceed at that point. If something does come to fruition, it is a good idea to get a lawyer, particularly before you talk to anyone. But it seems unlikely now, since they don't have a lot to go on. However, I would personally avoid that mall, because they will likely have been able to pull your image from the security footage and they may have a "be on the lookout for this person" type of notification at the mall with security and store owners. That is a common practice when someone is observed shoplifting.