Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney

I'm trying to find out if I can own a crossbow shooting.

Customer Question

I'm trying to find out if I can own a crossbow for target shooting. I have an aggravated assault conviction from 2013 and I have completed anger management course and my probation. I live in South Dakota
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO just looking up laws on the internet
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: several misdemeanors, three for simple assault( all under one conviction, there were three people in the car), one misdemeanor for an unpaid check and a soliciting for sex charge and driving without a license. I used a gun in both the simple assaults and the felony assault.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 5 months ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. If you have a felony, you cannot own a firearm or a controlled weapon. The term "controlled weapon" is defined to include machine guns, silencers, and short shotguns. Crossbows are not included and you are not prohibited from owning one in South Dakota because of your felony conviction. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?