Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Good Morning , I have a felony conviction on my record . How

Customer Question

Good Morning , I have a felony conviction on my record . How can I get my civil rights back?
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No ma'am I am a disabled veteran living on my disability and can not afford a lawyer .
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best.
Customer: I was a helicopter crew chief in the Alabama NG counter drug ADSW . I was put in a supply position and spent some money on personal items . The Federal Gov. would not press charges, but the state did .
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I have never been in trouble , I even have commendations from the DEA and other LEA's . I was even on protection detail for President Bush .
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello, So to be clear, are you saying you have an Alabama state felony conviction and not a federal conviction ?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello, Each state decides its own policies for the restoration of rights after one of its felony convictions. Some are more generous than others. Unfortunately, Alabama does not grant any rights easily. The only way to get your civil rights back in your state is by applying to your governor for a pardon. And your rights do not get restored unless specifically stated in the pardon itself. That would include your gun rights. In short, getting a pardon forgives the felony, but unless the pardon specifically grants the restoration of any of your rights, they remain lost to you. There is no other provision in Alabama law to get your rights back. You can read more about the pardon here.