TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
45002201

My grandson received a notice to appear in court under 9a.76.020 JA:

Customer Question

My grandson received a notice to appear in court under 9a.76.020
JA: The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No just received the notice
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: He was at a part on 4.23 and he was jumped. The police showed up although I am not sure why. They talked to the boys and then went inside and the boys left. They later found out the police were looking for them. When they found them the police said you will get a notice in the mail
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: party I mean
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 7 months ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.As I understand your question, your grandson was charged with obstruction for what appears to be leaving the scene the police were investigating for some reason. Is that correct?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I guess that is what it is.
Thanks for your quick response. What is your question?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
We are in Washington State - so with this summons should be bring an attorney with him. Also the date on the citation is not the date it actually happened.
The fact that the citation has the wrong day isn't really important. He still has to appear on the summons. Yes, you should bring a lawyer with him. The fact that he's been charged with a crime is serious, as he could get up to a year in jail, and he need to protect his rights. An attorney can make sure that what he did is actually against the law (whatever it is that he did), that the police can actually prove what they say he did, and raise any legal challenges he may have.
Do you have any questions? If so, feel free to ask. If not, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go.