How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAttorney Your Own Question
FamilyAttorney, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 1234
Experience:  Owner, attorney in private practice, appellate attorney, GAL & former trial lawyer, licensed for 37 years
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
FamilyAttorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is bigamy a crime punishable by the state of virginia

Customer Question

Is bigamy a crime punishable by the state of virginia
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I’m a licensed attorney with 36 years’ experience. I specialize in family law and appeals, and I have many years’ experience with landlord-tenant issues and contract law. I also have written hundreds of legal articles. I look forward to helping you today.Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Oh, at the end of this session, I will ask you to please rate me as that’s the only way I get credit for helping you today. Thanks! Please note: I want to help you but I may need some additional information from you.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Bigamy is a crime in VA. It is a class 4 felony and it can also be punished by fines. If someone was married to a second person while married to the first, the second marriage is null and void. If this is you, or someone you know, they need to end the first marriage asap if they're looking to get into the second. If the person wants to remain in the first marriage, you will want to speak with a lawyer to help you with the second "marriage." You are probably well-advised to speak with a lawyer anyway, someone who can help you with your situation. You can speak with a criminal lawyer first, that would be my first suggestion. I'm a family lawyer and not all family lawyers do this kind of work. Since it's a crime, your best bet would be to see a criminal lawyer and straighten this whole situation out, or if it's a friend of yours, have the friend see a criminal lawyer. If you want names of criminal lawyers in your area, just let me know and I can give you a list.
Expert:  FamilyAttorney replied 1 year ago.
Does this answer your question? If you need a list of lawyers, just ask me and I'll send a link to you. I would appreciate your rating me as soon as you are done reading the question. I'm here to answer more questions if you have them as long as they are based on this question. (That's per our rules here). I hope this helps and clarifies. If you could, I'd appreciate it if you can rate me when finished. If you need additional information please let me know. Please accept my answer, rate my answer and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you and with your question. I work hard to give you a thorough and honest answer. I thank you in advance for rating me. Please let me know if there is more that I can do to answer your question and if you need more information. If not, I thank you for your rating. I can’t get credit for answering your question without your fair and honest rating. Thank you, ***** ***** you for allowing me to help you today.

Related Criminal Law Questions