Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Zoey. I am a 46 year old female that was convicted of a

Customer Question

Hi Zoey. I am a 46 year old female that was convicted of a felony over 20 years ago for theft from the bank. Since then I have obtained a Bachelor's Degree and had a job for 19 1/2 years. I would like to apply for a job at a hospital. I do not know if I should apply for a certificate to see if they would accept that if my conviction come up or if the hospital if off limits for me.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
Hi and thanks for requesting me. Just to make sure -- the felony conviction you received was a NYS conviction?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
I'm going to assume that this is a NYS conviction. If it's not, you can let me know by replying here on this question thread. The health care industry, like education, law and the financial sector, is a highly restrictive industry when it comes to hiring practices. A felony, even a very old one, would likely be a dealbreaker. BUT. . . New York State is one of the minority of states that offers protection from employment discrimination on the basis of a criminal record. In order to get that protection, you would need a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities. I assume that this is the certificate you mentioned in your question and, if so, yes, it is very much in your best interest to apply for that certificate. Attached is what that certificate can and can't do for you. I have also attached the application. Once you have a certificate, it would be unlawful for a NYS employer to deny you a position based solely upon your criminal record. You would be able to take a prospective employer to court if they did. The only exception would be if there was a direct relationship between the particular crime you committed and the position applied for. In other words, it shouldn't bar you from hospital work, but the banking industry could still turn you away.