RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

Is it illegal police officer to announce themselves as

Customer Question

Is it illegal for a police officer to announce themselves as the fire department? And when the door is opened, it's really the police?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you. Unfortunately, police can legally lie to you, about a lot of things. There is no law that says the police have to identify themselves as police when knocking at the door. Note that when the police knock on your door, you do not have to let them in unless they have in their possession and show you a valid search warrant. The safest thing to do is step outside and shut the door behind you. They may or may not indicate right away why they are there. If they have a warrant, ask to see it. If they offer to simply “interview” you, it is better to decline to speak until your attorney can be present.If you need clarification or additional information, please reply and I'm happy to assist further. Thank you.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 9 months ago.
Your complete satisfaction is my goal. If you need additional information or clarification about my answer, please reply, and I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, kindly remember to leave a positive rating by clicking on the stars/happy faces (3-5 stars/happy faces) as that is the only way experts such as myself are compensated on this site for our time and expertise, even if you have left a deposit. It doesn't cost you anything extra to leave a rating. Thank you.