Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I have court today I have no representation no public defender

Customer Question

I have court today I have no representation no public defender I would like to ask the judge for 30 day continuance what do I need to do.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 5 months ago.
Hello, One thing about criminal law is that with any kind of a good excuse, you can almost always get a continuance unless you're right on the verge of a trial. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can just ask the judge to appoint you a public defender. That will get you a continuance. Otherwise, you can tell the judge that the week he gave you last time was not enough time for you to find a private attorney, and ask him for a longer continuance to come up with counsel. That would be the excuse most likely to work. If you don't plan on getting counsel -- not a good idea when you're charged with a crime -- for what reason do you need the continuance?