Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience

I have a small business doing field trips .

Customer Question

I have a small business doing field trips for homeschoolers. A girl that was helping me kept saying we were transparent non profit. She got all her field trips for free. But I am not non profit. We used to joKE about going to Jamaica with all the money. I made 1200. Can she sue me for money and can the group say I'm non profit? If she can for how much
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
She is making up a term, "transparent non profit" and there is no such thing. If you do not want to be a non-profit you do not have to be non-profit. If you paid her trip costs as part of her pay that is fine, but you make it sound like she was an employee and if she was an employee, then she needed to be paid hourly wages for her time (at least minimum wage per hour). You could offset the cost of the trips for her against the payment, but she would be due at least minimum wage for all of the time she spent working for you.