P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
11181181

I got charged with a violent felony I did not commit. I met

Customer Question

I got charged with a violent felony I did not commit. I met with my retained attorney one time before I had gotten a chance to see what the evidence against me was. We didn't discuss the facts of the case at all. He went and got me a violent misdemeanor plea bargain and is telling me to take it. Is this pretty standard as fair as criminal defense attorneys go?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

It is standard for the attorney to help negotiate a plea agreement...but, frankly, most all criminal charges result in a plea agreement.

In your case, the real question is "what evidence does the state have". IF they have a tough case (not much evidence, no confession)? Then it may be worth considering taking to trial and making the state prove your guilt.

But if the state has a strong case? Frankly...the deal you describe (dropping from felony to misdemeanor) is a good deal

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.