Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Where do I file a restraining order? In the county I live

Customer Question

Where do I file a restraining order? In the county I live or the county the person lives in? Do I go to a court house or police station. I'm in Galveston county & the other person who has threatened me is in Harris county Texas.
Thank you
Mary ***********
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I am sorry to hear about this situation. Where do I file a restraining order? In the county I live or the county the person lives in? In the county where the vic***** *****ves, or where the harassment has taken place. Do I go to a court house or police station. Going to the police means filing a criminal complaint. This means the police would investigate and he may be charged. For a civil restraining order without any criminal charges, one goes to the court house. I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!