How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33148
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

South Carolina Criminal Law**I was arrested around 17

Customer Question

**South Carolina Criminal Law**I was arrested around 17 years ago for a petty misdemeanor charge of public intoxication in South Carolina. I believe I paid a small fine and spent the night in jail and that was the end of it. I was a college student at the time, 21 years old. 17 years later I need access to the arrest and court record because I am in a situation where I need to disclose any arrests/charges even if they are expunged.I contacted the County Clerk of Courts in the county I was arrested and they had no record of my arrest. I called the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division and they had no records of my arrest. I did not ask for my records to be expunged and they said that it wouldn't have been expunged if I didn't put in a request for it.So they told me to go to and for a small fee they South Carolina Law Enforcement Division can pull up my arrest and charge and court case number, etc. So I filled out the online form, put in my SSN and date of birth, paid the fee and it returned no arrest record found.I am in a dilemma because I know for a fact I have been arrested and charged 17 years ago and I have to disclose it with a court/arrest record or a letter of expungement but it seems neither are available.Can someone please advise on how I can access these records in the state of South Carolina taking into account the facts I just provided? Also if you have a service where you can do it on my behalf I would be interested to consider using it.Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Many of the older records haven't made it "into the system" yet as ar as having online access. If you want to do this yourself then you can go to the county where you were charged and paid the fine and look through the clerk of court's records for the court that handles the misdemeanors. They will have a paper index for sure and they may even have a computerized index. You can then ask them to pull the file and make copies of it. Be sure and get "certified copies" of the judgment. If you don't want to make the trip yourself to wherever it happened or if you have any problem firing it then the next choice is to hire a lawyer there that does criminal law, you can find one at, and they will locate it for you. They may even be able to get records from the DA's office or the jail, which normally you wouldn't be able to get without a lot of hassle. The lawyer will charge you but it won't be terribly expensive.