RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

I cant disclose any of that, she went to trident, but thats

Customer Question

I cant disclose any of that, she went to trident, but thats not the bills i need help with its the required phsycological treatment dss is making me get her. I havnt chosen her doctor yet bc i dont know if im going to pay it or let the state, hippo laws prevent me from telling you this stuff but im not threatening you that would be a crime on my part im giving you the option, i either press charges and let the state pay for it or i get her care privately thats your choice thats why i contacted you bc i would rather keep dss out of my home, i can give you a copy of the invoice but they require money up front, choice is yours, im not paying for all this alone, your not totally to blame she is as well thats why i will assume half of this bill, you need to assume the other half or i can do what my wife is wanting.That is the last message I received from him
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 months ago.
I still think it's extortion. Here's the state statute on blackmail in South Carolina:SC Code § 16-17-640 (2012)Any person who verbally or by printing or writing or by electronic communications: (1) accuses another of a crime or offense; (2) exposes or publishes any of another's personal or business acts, infirmities, or failings; or (3) compels any person to do any act, or to refrain from doing any lawful act, against his will; with intent to extort money or any other thing of value from any person, or attempts or threatens to do any of such acts, with the intent to extort money or any other thing of value, shall be guilty of blackmail and, upon conviction, shall be fined not more than five thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than ten years, or both, in the discretion of the court. So the person is saying they're not threatening you, but then is threatening you to pay or they'll press charges because that's what their wife wants? Other things that make me suspicious of this:1) The amount of typos in the email (numerous spelling errors, and it's "HIPPA" laws) -it just doesn't come across as credible2) First they say DSS is making them get counseling for the daughter (and I have serious doubts that a DSS investigation could be completed in days) and then they say that they don't want DSS in their home? Well, if DSS is involved, they're not going to suddenly drop the matter. It doesn't strike me as credible.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Im sorry to hear all of that, its not what you did intentionally, you dont realize what affects a 15 year old girl. She was making a video of her naked for you, things that would be harmless to an adult are different with a child. You were supposed to stop all contact and tell her not to send those pictures, you didnt stop her therefore your at fault. Google it man you were harmful to her. All im asking is for like $500 to cover these initial fees if you cant do that by tomoorrow ill let the state handle it, im not debating this anymore is what he just sent me
You need to stop responding or having contact with this person. It's of NO benefit to you, and you may end up saying something that only hurts you. Block them if you have to. DO NOT RESPOND TO THEM.Even if this person goes to the police, this is not a strong case for the state to make -you were sent pictures/video unsolicited which you (hopefully) immediately deleted. If you didn't, you should, as you have made clear you do not want them and holding onto them longer will make it appear that you do wish to continue having possession. The person is clearly extorting you, and they basically come right out and say it. And, even if you DID pay, you cannot guarantee that they won't go to the police anyway. Block them, and talk to a local attorney about reporting the photos you did receive.