Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience

Can the police stop you from going in your house if they don't

Customer Question

can the police stop you from going in your house if they don't have a warrant
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was stop down the street from my house. The police search me and found nothing but they brought me back to my house and they are not allowing me to go in because they say they are waiting on a warrant. can they do this? Is this legal?
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 6 months ago.
Yes, if they have reasonable suspicion that you have committed a crime or a crime has taken place in your house, then they can stop you and prevent you from going into the house. That said, in most cases, they will have had to have seen you actually commit a crime or have a reasonable belief that you have just committed a crime before they can stop you. Based on the new information, they can stop you as long as they have probable cause to believe that there is evidence of a crime at your house. So, the answer is still yes, unfortunately. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please also rate my answer positively (three or more stars). That is how I receive credit for my response. Thanks and Best Wishes!
Just checking to see if you have any other questions or comments. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward.