Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Is it against the law boyfriends boss to not give me

Customer Question

Is it against the law for my boyfriends boss to not give me his fiance his paycheck while he's in jail
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon Michelle. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. Can you provide me a bit more information? Do you have a power of attorney for your boyfriend giving you the authority to get his check? Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He just told me to get it from his boss but his boss hasn't talked to him I don't think I have power of attorney
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
His boss talked to me tho
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for following up. In order for the boss to release it to you, the boss would need to have you present him with a power of attorney signed by your boyfriend and notarized. Otherwise, the boss has no protection because he has no written document upon which to rely allowing him to release the check. If he were to release it without a power of attorney, then later your boyfriend could come back and hold him liable for doing so. Let me know if you would like a template for such a power of attorney.