Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Can my job die me based on a criminal record already

Customer Question

Can my job die me based on a criminal record already disclosed 19 years ago
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello Do you have a contract that has to be renewed every year
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no I'm a full time employee
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, Texas, like most states, is an "employment at-will state." That means if you don't have a written annual contract, you are an employee at will. You can be fired at any time for any reason or for no reason at all. The only reasons which would be improper grounds for firing you would be if they had to do with religion, national origin, race, color, or sex, which are prohibited as being unconstitutional. But can they fire you for an old criminal record, even though for 19 years they've known about it? Yes they can. If you feel that this is just a pretext, that there's something improper going on and they are just using this excuse to cover up an impermissible reason to fire you, you can contact an employment lawyer and see if you can fight this. But otherwise, in an at-will state, you have no protection from this kind of thing.