How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 24896
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a felony on my record possession from 1973.

Customer Question

I have a felony on my record for drug possession from 1973. Am I able to have this removed from my record?
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.
Hello, Was this a California conviction?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes, I was in the US Navy at the time and was arrested by the DEA at San Diego Airport before boarding a flight to my home base in Alameda, CA. I have been living in Hawaii since 1978.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. If this is a California state conviction, then California is pretty generous in its expungement policies, and you should be able to get your conviction removed from your record. You can hire a lawyer to do this for you, although an expungment is one of the few things related to criminal justice for which no lawyer is really necessary. In fact, if you want to do this for yourself, California has an on line self-help center which will help you do it. If you navigate the self-help center -- it's a little tricky -- it will walk you through the whole set-aside process from eligibility through the expungement. All of the forms are there and can be downloaded right from the state site. Here is the site: When you use the self-help link above and get to the home page, click on "Criminal Law" from the column on the left. Then click on "Cleaning your Criminal Record," scroll down towards the bottom of the page to the links and expand them so that you can see all of the steps. Good luck.