Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

I live in Indiana. I am currently trying to purchase a permit

Customer Question

I live in Indiana. I am currently trying to purchase a permit for a handgun. I have 2 counts of class c felonies. Sexual misconduct with a minor. Not minimizing the offense but I was a senior in high school and she was a freshman. I am now 30 years old, married and have a child. In the Indiana code under felony in possession on a firearm. My felony is not listed. Does this mean I can own/carry one with the proper paperwork?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. No. Even leaving aside the issue of whether it is listed or not, a felony (a crime which carries a potential sentence of imprisonment of one year or more) prohibits you from ever owning, carrying, etc. a firearm. The only possible solution is to remove the felony from your record through a procedure like a governor's pardon or another mechanism like an expungement. You will want to check with a local lawyer and see what your chances are with getting a local judge to approve the order. Some won't do it for a sex crime no matter the circumstances and it's not worth spending the money to try. Others are willing to consider the facts. To sum up, as the situation sits now you cannot own (carry, use, purchase, etc) a firearm as it would be a violation of federal law.