Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I am a 22 year old girl from Louisiana, and I started talking

Customer Question

I am a 22 year old girl from Louisiana, and I started talking to a 17 year old boy from New Jersey online. We exchanged phone numbers and began talking on the phone/texting. Is it illegal for us to talk about anything sexually explicit/exchange nude pictures? I'm aware that the age of consent is 16 in New Jersey and 17 in Louisiana, but I'm still unsure.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 7 months ago.
Hello, While you could engage in sex if you were in New Jersey or Louisiana, believe it or not, you cannot exchange sexually explicit texts or photos. Your communication is interstate and would come under Federal law, where you must both be at least 18 in order to avoid prosecution.