Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

My son missed his first court date tickets due

Customer Question

My son missed his first court date for traffic tickets due to my being ill and not able to drive him. We wrote a letter and the judge gave him a court date immediately, however, we didn't see the email because the computer had a virus and crashed. We wrote another email asking for advice. Will he go to jail if he goes to court?
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Can't afford a lawyer.
JA: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: The judge is a tough judge.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Are you asking if it is possible that the judge will sent him to jail?Is there another hearing date scheduled?Who did you send the email to asking for advice?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Haven't had a response yet. The clerk said he should turn himself in and see the judge. I sent the email to Judge Les Hayes, Municipal Court Judge, Montgomery, Alabama. The tickets are from 2014. I signed up to answer surveys for cash and they have taken over my email and have erased email concerning the court case. Trying to get them out of my computer and email now. I have over 2,000 emails a day coming in and was checking to see if a response from the municipal court is in there.
Judges don't give advice and you can actually get into trouble for writing them and asking for it or contacting them about anything other than changing trial dates, etc. and that is with notice to the other side. Anything else is called an "ex parte communication" and is absolutely forbidden. If your son missed a court date then the chances are extremely high that the judge issued a bench warrant for him and he will be arrested if he shows up at court, if he gets pulled over for any traffic violation, or if he goes in to renew his license. While your best option is to hire a lawyer and get them to handle it, they can almost certainly get the warrant withdrawn and enter an appearance, I understand that he may not be able to afford to hire one. He isn't entitled to a court appointed lawyer for the traffic ticket but he would be entitled to one once he has been arrested to handle the bench warrant. Unfortunately, there is no way to get one until he has been arrested. So, the answer to the original question "Will he go to jail if he goes to court? " is almost certainly yes. There is a slight chance that if he shows up when the court is in session and asks to speak to the judge then the judge will discuss it with him in open court and with the prosecutor present and not send him to jail, but it is a very slight chance.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
By joining this service, can we ask other questions pertaining to other legal questions such as social security or about starting self employment?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also, are these conversations being made public on the web for all to see? I would like to keep my conversations private. Thank you.
As to the first question, to find out what the subscriptions cover you can contact Customer Support by using the link at the bottom of your page. The experts don't really have anything to do with that, we just answer questions. As to the second question, yes, these conversations are public and on the web. After you finish each one and issue your Positive Rating on the expert then if you ask we can send the moderators a message and request that they "hide" the question and answer from the search engines, etc. which means it won't be public any longer. You have to ask each time so we can make the request for you. Best wishes to you and please don't forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.