Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience in criminal law, BA in criminal justice

JB Can subcontractors who may or may not be licensed in state

Customer Question

JB Can subcontractors who may or may not be licensed in state of Wisconsin file construction Lien if they are hired by unlicensed contractor( who has no signed contract)?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I hired a contractor, didn't realize he was unlicensed.... He started overcharging... Then quoted me $2300.00 for wood floor install.... Hired a sub.... I asked contractor on 4 different occasions via text message if we were still on for 2300.00 with sub... No response... Bill was $7500!!!! I agreed to pay 4500 as sub did some other work.... I am now preparing to fire the contractor.... Who didn't show up for work last week.. He also has a metal roof of mine at Menards under his companies name... For my building in Michigan and hasn't installed roof yet even though I paid him 5k in January.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 6 months ago.
Hello there --In Wisconsin, any person who furnishes work on the property whether there is a contract or not and whether they are licensed or not can put a mechanics lien on the property. This includes architects and material suppliers after the project has started. There is a very particular procedure for them to do so, including serving notice to the owner within 30 days of doing work on the property. Here is a link to the Wisconsin lien procedures for your review (there is a wonderful list of questions and answers at the bottom). This is the website that contractors use for information and forms so I thought it was the best source for you. -Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH-MARY