Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Hey I got caught crossing the train tracks so I got charged

Customer Question

Hey I got caught crossing the train tracks so I got charged with 2C-18-3b. I don't have a record and never been arrested... what do you think i should do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was drunk and jump onto the train tracks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, This is a disorderly person's offense in New Jersey, which your state considers something less than a crime. Because it is a criminal offense, however, and a conviction will be on your criminal history, you would want to have a lawyer when you come for your court date. There are special programs for first offenders on low level, non-violent crimes, and it's very likely that with the assistance of a lawyer, if you wanted to resolve this case without going to trial, you could get a diversion type of disposition and come out without a conviction on your record. A diversion or a deferred adjudication would mean a period of supervision, some community service and fines, but once you finish the supervision, the case against you is dismissed and you could then deny having ever had a criminal conviction.