Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My home burned down ib brigantine NJ. aFter the fire , the

Customer Question

My home burned down ib brigantine NJ. aFter the fire , the fire department failed to lock all doors , for approximately 5 days, In the mean time my house was ravaged thru and items stolen. Can I sue the fire department? I called my ins. Company that morning of the fire. They did not contact me till 3 days later, are they liable as well for not securing the premises?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. Before I ask questions about your situation, I need to make sure that you understand how the website and rating system works. Many times in situation like yours, the law is not in favor of the consumer/homeowner. When that happens we have to give the person asking the question bad news. It's true, but sometimes it's not in their favor. On this website the customer rates us experts at the end of the question and answer and every now and then a customer is unhappy about the law and gives a negative rating. Unfortunately, that negative rating is taken by the website to be a reflection on me, indicating that I wasn't polite, wasn't prompt, or provided a wrong answer. I'm more than happy to discuss this with you, but I just wanted to make sure that you understood how the system works and that you will rate me on my professionalism and not on whether the law is in your favor or not, since I have no control over that. With that understanding, do you want me to discuss this in more detail with you?