Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

If you called the police and they recorded your phone call

Customer Question

If you called the police and they recorded your phone call can they give out your personal information and voice recording to the institution (university) you are reporting about? Or do they protect your identity and only send the university a script of what you said on the phone?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.
Hello, What did you tell the police about the university. Did you report a crime?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
About suspected hazing and drug use. I was wondering if the school would receive recordings from the phone and the school would play this during interview with the students. I'm scared that my identity will be somehow revealed if the school does play my phone call during interviews with the students. I called the school police department.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.
Hello, Campus police would likely disclose your name and eventually turn over the recording to the school authorities. Hazing and drug use, if corroborated, would cause the students involved to face administrative sanctions through the university, such as suspension or expulsion. The school would want to investigate, and they may want to start by talking to you for further details. If your report is found to be accurate, the information would also be passed along to the state prosecutor. The students involved could be charged with criminal offenses. One way or the other, if a recording exists, it would likely be be heard by both the school and the state. You may wind up being subpoenaed as a witness in any proceedings against the students.