Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

Is there a law limiting the amount of time after getting

Customer Question

Is there a law limiting the amount of time after getting out of the hospital?
How would I know if I bought a gun online and had it shipped to a ffl dealer here. I wouldn't know if it was legal for me to have the rifle and still have to pay the $100 in fees to get it here. The ffl dealer told me there is a question on the form about being in the hospital, even though it is a rifle. I would hate to order the rifle,pay for it,some $800 just to have the DOJ come and get it. It's actually a gift. If I give it away would they go after it?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal-Kal replied 6 months ago.
Good afternoon: My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your question. Now, when it comes to firearm possession laws, both the owner's state of residence and federal law applies to the possession of the firearm. Regarding hospitalization, the key question becomes "what type of hospitalization" was it? For instance, was it a mental health related hospitalization and, if so, what type of "detention" or treatment was given?