Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I was put in a mental hospital 7 days. This

Customer Question

I was put in a mental hospital for about 7 days. This was 6-7 years ago. I was told at the time of release that I could not buy a firearm for 5 years. How do I answer the "have you ever been hospitalized" question on the form to buy a gun. Will the DOJ just come and pick it up?
Thank you in advance for your answer,
David *****
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, A failure to answer this truthfully on a government application of any sort is an offense for which you can be prosecuted. You should tell the truth. Then the worst that will happen is that you can't buy a gun. If you lie and the DOJ finds a record of your commitment in their data base, not only will you be denied the gun you can be charged for perjury.