Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Exhusband owes me $15,000. Court ordered it to be paid in 2010.

Customer Question

Exhusband owes me $15,000. Court ordered it to be paid in 2010. Still has not pd. it. Is there a statute of limitations about how long I have to get it before he doesn't have to pay?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I will help you with your questions. I have been an NYS Attorney for 26 years. Are you saying your ex-husband owes $15,000 in child support?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not child support. As part of my distributive award when we divorced, he was to pay me off in 5yr. increments. The $15,000 was to be the last and that's what he has not pd. I continually remind him of it but get no money.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting for a reply as I have answered your question. Please reply.
I am preparing an answer. I will be with you shortly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, please just tell me if there is a statute of limitations wherein if a certain amount of time passes I will not be able to get the money from him. It has been 6 yrs. now.
There is a 6 year statute of limitations.
The statute of limitations runs from the date the judgement is entered.
If you had an agreement, you should check to see if there is a provision to extend the payments beyond the 6 year statute of limitations.
I believe I am wrong. I rushed my research. I believe it is 20 years. I will let another expert help you. I apologize.