Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

How do I go about getting video from Walmart from incident

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello Have you been charged with shoplifting? Do you have a lawyer?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I got away they called local pd! No
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
When you say you got away, do you mean that you fled the scene before the police showed up to arrest you? Are you still at risk of an arrest? For what purpose do you need to see the video?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, You can ask Walmart for the video, but they do not have to turn it over to you without a court order. If they don't, you'd be required to subpoena it. The only way you can get a subpoena is to get it signed by a judge, which means you would have to need it for litigation purposes and have either a criminal or civil suit going on for which the evidence is relevant and necessary. Then your judge will sign off on it. If you are not presently in court about this issue, you won't be able to get any video unless the store is inclined to just hand it to you, which, unfortuntely, is not likely.