Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law

Does DUI have mandatory jail time in California?

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for your question. No, assuming that this is a first DUI, then there is no minimum mandatory jail time. Below are the possible punishments. You can see a very good discussion of the DUI law in CA by going to the following link:

Please feel free to ask for clarification after you have read all of the information at the link if needed. Thank you

• Informal (otherwise known as "summary") probation for three to five years,
  • Up to six months in a county jail
  • Between $390-$1,000 in fines,
  • A three- or nine-month court-approved alcohol and/or drug education program (AB541 class),
  • A six- to ten-month driver's license suspension that generally may be converted to a "restricted license"7. A restricted license enables you to drive during the course of your employment, and to and from work, school, and/or DUI school.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 7th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good.If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at:

Thank you.