John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney.

I heard I was supposed to get subpoenaed but never did. Apparently

Customer Question

I heard I was supposed to get subpoenaed but never did. Apparently they had court today and I never knew anything about it
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I heard from a sheriff I had a subpoena out. I have never seen or touched it. Court was today and I didn't go because I had no knowledge of ir
JA: Anything else I can tell the Criminal Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No ma'am that is it
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  John replied 6 months ago.
Without being mailed the subpoena, with proof of service, there is no duty for you to show up in court or be notified of the date. The sheriff telling you there is a subpoena for you is no legally binding on you. Now if the sheriff served it on you personally that would be a different story...but under your facts he did not.