How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Colleen Grady Your Own Question
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 549
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Colleen Grady is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is regarding Social Security Supplemental Income fraud, An

Customer Question

This is regarding Social Security Supplemental Income fraud,
An elder lady wants to report a fraud and abuse to Social Security authority regarding her SSI funds at bank account got removed by a Register Nurse during the last two years while she lived outside the country. But the nurse threatened her that the elder lady is complicit in it. What would the elder lady should do now? She doesn't want to get in trouble but wants to report the fraud.
Here is the background
1. The elder lady has no ability to speak/write in English
2. The RN helped her to filed application, reported residence address and contact ph# ***** all under the RN's home, but actually the Elder lady was lived at another place, never lived at RN's home.
3. The RN told her that she suppose not qualified to apply for the SSI benefits since she owns a house in oversea country. it was the reason the elder lady cooperated with the RN to hided the assets when filing the application.
4. SSA always calling the elder lady(thru the RN's cellphone number) about every 1-2 month, to verify her living address, and to make sure that the SSI funds sent to her each month was enough to support herself. The elder lady was instructed by the nurse which reported the address was correct, but actually it was not a false statement.
5. The lady understood the SSA law which she will be not eligible the SSI benefits and the funds will be stopped after she left the country over 30 days.
6. But after she left the country, she still continually received SSI funds to her bank account for about 2 years. So, someone(it should be the RN) must be pretended to be the elder lady to answered the phone from SSA every 1-2 month and caused the SSA sending the funds to her bank account.
7. The elder lady never had any access to her own bank account during the two years time period when she lived outside the country, therefore she never had any benefits to use those money from the SSI, all money was all removed by the RN to her own bank account.
8. The elder lady said she never gave any of power of attorney to the RN to access her bank account.
Any suggestions what lady should do now??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I will help you with this. I have been an attorney for 26 years and a prosecutor for 9 years. This should be reported to the Office of the Inspector General for the Social Security Administration. They will investigate. Here is all the information needed to do this:"DON’T IGNORE FRAUD. SPEAK UP.Do you suspect someone of committing fraud against Social Security? The SSA OIG Fraud Hotline takes reports of alleged fraud, waste, and abuse.Reporting is easy, safe, and secure. You can reach us online, or by phone, mail, or fax.SUBMIT A REPORT ONLINE Mail: Social Security Fraud HotlineP.O. Box 17785Baltimore, Maryland 21235FAX:(###) ###-####elephone: 1-***-***-**** from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern Standard TimeTTY: 1-***-***-**** for the deaf or hard of hearing.Note: If you cannot reach a representative on the Fraud Hotline between 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, you can report Social Security program fraud directly to any Social Security office, including representatives at the SSA’s toll-free number, 1-***-***-****, from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. SSA employees will take your information and send it directly to our office. "Please let me know if you have more questions. I will be happy to help. If you are satisfied with my assistance, please rate my service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

The elder lady was afraid that she will be in trouble under criminal prosecution since she reported a false residence address and hided her only house at oversea to the SSA on her application.

Does she needs a criminal attorney to represent her when she report the fraud in order to protect herself?

Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.
She would be safer with a criminal attorney. She must report this or she will be in trouble. It is her account and her checks. She needs to report the fraud to protect herself.