Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I had a class c misdemeanor in Texas and I paid the fine for

Customer Question

I had a class c misdemeanor in Texas and I paid the fine for deferred adjudication, and I wanted to know if it will show up on a background check
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was pumping gas, and the automatic pump never shut off, and the guy didn't give me a refund, so I took a peanut butter and cracker package and a bottle of water to make up the difference
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, and thank you for requesting me. A class C misdemeanor should not show up on your criminal history. There's a copy of this case filed with the court, but that's it.According to Sec. 12.03(c) of the Texas penal code, a conviction on a class C misdemeanor doesn't impose any kind of criminal or legal liability on the offender. So it is not in the state or Federal criminal data base. That said, there is a copy of your disposition on file with the court and it is a public record. So even though this offense won't turn up on a fingerprint background check of state and Federal records, it's still a good idea to get the court copy sealed. If you got community supervision with your deferred adjudication you'd be eligible to get an order of non-disclosure which can keep the one copy of your disposition away from scrutiny. You can read more about the order here.