Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

My son was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison

Customer Question

My son was sentenced to 10 years in federal prison for felon in possession of a firearm. He had prior drug convictions and residential burglary (in my home when we were gone and he was high on drugs and took money). Based upon Johnson vs. United States, would he be eligible for sentence reduction? He has no violent felonies except for the burglary of my home, but no personal violence upon a person occurred.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he was sentenced for the 10 years for being a felon in possession of the firearm and not the mandatory minimum 15 year sentence for the violation of the Johnson case does not affect this sentence. The Johnson case was specific to the enhancement penalties under the armed career criminal act, not for punishment for being a felon and in possession of a firearm.