Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

My son got a ticket of drug paraphernalia in

Customer Question

My son got a ticket for possession of drug paraphernalia in Missouri. First offense. What do I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.
Hello, In Missouri, possession of drug paraphernalia is a misdmeanor with a maximum possible penalty of a year in jail and/or a fine of up to $1,000. If your son is under 21 and is convicted of this crime, Missouri will also suspend his driver's license, even if there was no car involved in this incident. However, for first offenders, the state allows for a special form of probation, whereby if he finishes all of his requirements -- usually fines, community service, anti-drug programs -- and stays out of trouble and refrains from drug use during his probationary period, his case will be dismissed afterwards, so he won't carry a conviction on his record. This is called a diversion type of program, and would be the best possible outcome for a case like this. He's eligible for it, since this is his first arrest, but it may have to be negotiated. That means, you ought to consult with a local criminal lawyer.