Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I just received a 602a petition in the mail and j don't understan

Customer Question

I just received a 602a petition in the mail and j don't understand what it means.. They checked the box saying they wanted to increase of the maximum confinement what does this mean?
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: My son brought a knife to school and is being charged with a misdemeanor PC626.10 (a)(1)
JA: Anything else I can tell the Lawyer before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.
Hello, When a juvenile is removed from the household and the DA wants to increase the maximum time he can be held in confinement, they must file a 602(a) petition. Calculating the maximum time is elaborate, but in computing it the state takes into consideration any penalty enhancements, any previous unfinished sentences, any violations of probation, any additional counts or charges which could run concurrent, and they can come up with a figure that could exceed the one year maximum on the PC626.(a)(1)
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What if this is his first offense would they remove him from home?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.
It all depends on the particular facts and circumstances of the case. Traditionally, the juvenile justice system is less harsh than the adult system when it comes to the first offense. Is the juvenile home with you at this time?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes he is he was never sent to juvenile hall.. He was cited and released to my custody due to the fact he has numerous health issues and is autistic
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 8 months ago.
Typically, they would have already removed him from the home. I think this is an unusual situation, and it's probably best that I opt out in favor of a California lawyer. Please don't reply, not even to thank me as it will keep others from being able to respond. You'll get an email when another lawyer has taken up the question. I wish you good luck with this case.