Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.

Iwas issued a issued a 100 dollers ticket jumping

Customer Question

iwas issued a issued a 100 dollers ticket for turnstile jumping if i pay the ticket will it be on my record
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: mta cops who were under cover saw me me and issued the ticket no prior record
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. I guess it depends on what you mean by "on your record". It will be a part of your criminal history and a public record but it is equivalent to a traffic ticket for most purposes so it really has no long term effect. If you have additional questions please ask them in this thread.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is it a misdemeanor and if an employer does aback ground check will it show up . is there anything i can do to expunge it from my recordso its not searchable thank you
Yes, it will show up as a misdemeanor. However, you can apply to have it removed from your record through a process called an expungement.
It shows up as a traffic ticket a well,
One of the other experts mentioned an additional issue that I missed, if you were issued the ticket in NYC as opposed to elsewhere. If the ticket was issued in NYC, as opposed to another location, then it can be written up as either a violation or a crime. The violation would be charged under section Section 1050.4 of the MTA laws and would seal automatically upon payment of the fine. The misdemeanor would be charged as a Theft of Services under PL 165.15. If you pled guilty to that and paid a fine, you would have a misdemeanor record. New York State does not expunge misdemeanor and felony convictions. It does seal most violations, however, including the MTA violations. The answer I originally gave is accurate in every other jurisdiction I am aware of which has an ordinance against "turnstile jumping" and has any form of MTA, whether by that name or something else. That includes the ones in CA, Maine, etc.