Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I have a case where nydoccs subjected me to 4 months of

Customer Question

I have a case where nydoccs subjected me to 4 months of solitary confinement but then found my actually innocent but still made me do the SHU TIME, I have more but i just got out last week and don't want to write it all out unless this really works and I'm really talking to someone. i know a bit about a bit of law to know i got a real good case but i don't know how to go about it. can i get some help?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

You need to get to a civil litigator with experience in suing the NYS agencies, and get him to file a notice of claim. That's required in NYS when you want to sue the government and there's a limited window of opportunity to get it done. Once the notice has been filed you can take the statutory period to actually file the suit, but the notice officially informs Corrections that you intend to sue, without which your suit will not be entertained.

We cannot do this work for you on this website. It would be a violation of the site's terms of service, since JustAnswer is not a law firm. If you don't know where to find a civil litigator, you can call the New York Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service, explain what you need a lawyer for, and they will find you one. They charge a small fee of around $35, which includes a free half hour consultation with the attorney.