Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

I was charged with felony t and run in county North

Customer Question

I was charged with felony hit and run in Moore county North Carolina. I had only 7 months of probation left. I ran to South Carolina. The gentle man that was injured in the wreck has recently died. I was picked up by horry county for the warrant of probation violation. Waiting in the county jail. Can Moore county North Carolina now charge me with vehicular manslaughter
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

If the state believes that it can prove that the victim's death was as a direct result of your hit and run, yes, unfortunately, they would be able to bump the charges up to a vehicular manslaughter.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If the the person that I hit decided not to be put on the ventilator, how does that work because he choose to die? And how long would I be sentenced?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 months ago.

You would have to be convicted before you could be sentenced, and whether or not the death was a direct result of the accident would have to be determined by medical evidence. If the case went to trial, both the defense and the prosecution would call expert witnesses to support their theory of the case and the jury would determine for itself whose evidence was more credible.

The penalty ranges from 15 months to 480 months.